Sunday, October 25, 2015

Halloween Sewing

It seems like every year my girls choose a character that is hard to find a costume for or not available at all like this year. They were not able to shop for the materials with me until the week of the Halloween party. Here's the aftermath of 2 days worth of sewing and 2 1/2 hours of sleep total.

This costume is Sara from the short series called Over the Garden Wall. Cartoon Network only aired it one time. My girls loved watching the show. They're waiting for it to go on dvd. I used a clown pattern that I modified to make the jumpsuit.   We bought some fabric markers for her to make the various color polka dots according to the character's image. We couldn't do full face painting because it's not allowed at the party. For the collar she created a template then traced it onto faux leather.

This is Red Riding Hood based on Once Upon a Time. In one episode Red Riding Hood was with Snow hunting hence those pants. I made the blouse last year but she ended up not using it. This year I made some more pieces and added the to create the costume and the blouse was from last year. 

As I was cutting the cloak pattern I was sure I bought more than enough fabric for it because the pattern called for 6 yards. It was short. I had to go and buy 2 more yards in order to finish the cloak. I modified the vest. I used an embossed suede like fabric and left out the bottom portion of the vest because DD wanted it short. I finished the costumes half an hour before the party.
My whole house looked like a tornado went right through it. Stuff was just everywhere. The floor was covered wit itty bitty scraps of fabric, pattern pieces, thread and anything sewing related. I had an extra table set up and that was full of sewing stuff too. I've never seen my house in such disarray ever.   I couldn't wait to go home after the party to clean up the house and that's exactly what I did. It was so nice to see everything in it's proper place. At the end of the night, the disaster was well worth it because my girls loved their costumes. It will get used one more time and will be back in the costume closet for storage.

Pattern info: Simplicity 5794, McCall's M7023, Simplicity 2849

1 comment:

Jeanna said...

Those are amazing costumes. All that recent garment sewing continued :)

I hope everyone had a great time at the party.