Quilted Trivet Tutorial
By Kim Sherrod
Finished Size: 10" square
2 - 2 7/8" squares dark fabric
2 - 2 7/8" squares light fabric
1st Border: 2 - 1 1/2" x 4 1/2", 2 - 1 1/2" x 6 1/2" light fabrics
2nd Border: 16 - 2 1/2" squares, assorted dark fabrics
Binding: 1 - 2 1/4" strip light fabric
Backing: 14" square coordinating fabric
1. Cut the pinwheel squares in half on the diagonal. Place one light and one dark triangle together and sew to make a half square triangle. Repeat for the remaining light and dark triangles. You will have 4 half square triangles.
2. Sew the half square triangles together to form a pinwheel block. See image below for placement. Press and trim if necessary.
3. Take the 1 1/2" x 4" 1st border strips and sew them to the left and right side of the pinwheel block. Press seams toward the borders. Take the 1 1/2" x 6 1/2" strips and sew them to the top and bottom of the pinwheel block. Press.
4. Sew 3 - 2 1/2" squares together to form the left an right side of the 2nd border strip.
5. Sew the above two rows to the left and right side of the pinwheel top. Press seams towards border.
6. Sew 5 - 2 1/2" squares together to form the top and bottom of the 2nd border strip.
7. Sew the above rows to the top and bottom of pinwheel top. Press seams towards border.
Square up the quilt top if necessary.
8. Layer quilt top, batting and backing together. Quilt as desired. Bind using your favorite binding method.
This is quick to put together and make a nice gift especially with the holidays coming up. Hope you've enjoyed my tutorial.